Your pets are welcome at Dweck Properties, but we do have specific species and breed restrictions.
Acceptable species include dogs, cats, fish, and birds (restrictions may apply, see management for details). Exotic species are not permitted. The following dog breeds and any mixes thereof are prohibited:
- Alaskan Malamute
- Doberman Pinscher
- German Shepherd
- Great Dane
- All Pit Bull breeds (American Pit Bull Terriers, American or Irish Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, American Bull Dogs, and Presa Canario)
- Wolf-dog hybrids
The following pets are also restricted:
Please be prepared to show the required documents upon application or addition of a pet to your lease:
- Vaccination records
- Dog breed verification
- Signed Pet Addendum
Pet Fees and Pet Rents
Pet fees are nonrefundable. Please see each community wesbite for monthy pet rent and one-time fees.
Service animals are not considered pets and will be accepted without breed provided that they do not upset the calm or safety of others. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations for a service or assistance animal, you will be asked to submit a Request for Reasonable Accommodation Verification for Assistance Animal form. We will evaluate the request and notify you of the approval status. Please note:
- Dweck Properties will make reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities who need service or assistance animals, in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Fair Housing Act (FHA), Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504), and state legislation.
Dweck Properties may impose restrictions or conditions on pets, the company recognizes that service and assistance animals (as defined by the ADA, FHA, Rehabilitation Act, and state legislation) are not considered pets and will meet the obligations for reasonable accommodation of these animals.
- Dweck Properties will evaluate all reasonable requests for accommodation for service and assistance animals in a timely manner.
- Dweck Properties may not impose additional security deposits or pet fees related to the service or assistance animal. We may, however, charge for damages caused by the animal.
- Service animals and assistance animals do not need to be certified or wear a distinguishing vest or collar.
- According to the ADA, “service animals must be harnessed, leashed, or tethered unless these devices interfere with the service animal’s work or the individual’s disability prevents using these devices. In that case, the individual must maintain control of the animal through voice, signal, or other controls.” (ADA)
- For any questions related to service/assistance animals or any issues related to exclusions, please consult the management team.
- Pet – An animal for ordinary use and companionship.
- Service Animal/Assistance Animal/Emotional Support Animal/Therapy Animal (FHA Definition) – An animal that works, provides assistance, or performs tasks to benefit an individual with a disability or provides emotional support that alleviates a symptom of a person’s disability.
- Type of animal, breed, size, or weight restrictions may not be applied to an assistance animal.
Exclusions/Reasons for denial of request, according to HUD, include:
- The animal poses a direct threat to the health and safety of others, and this threat cannot be reduced or eliminated by making reasonable accommodations (this must be based on a direct assessment of the individual animal and not on fears).
- The animal would cause substantial physical damage that cannot be reduced or eliminated with reasonable modifications.
- The individual’s use of the animal or the animal living with the individual would create an undue financial or administrative burden for the company or alter the nature of the company’s services.
- Dweck Properties complies with FHA requirements for service and assistance animals, which are much broader than the narrow definitions as set forth by ADA.
- Disability – “A physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities.” (HUD)